June 10, 2015

Cheesecake with Raspberry Sauce

 Orianna requested cheesecake for her birthday. However, her birthday happened to be the day we tore our kitchen apart to start painting cabinets, so I wasn't as prepared as I could have been. I set out to make my regular cheesecake recipe, but after discovering that I had no graham cracker crumbs to make the crust, I switched to another favorite crustless cheesecake recipe from my sister-in-law Ashley. It is exceedingly smooth and creamy. I am not sure which recipe I like better. I think we might need to eat a lot of cheesecake to determine which one is the best....


New York Crustless Cheesecake (Jim Fobel)

5 large eggs, room temperature
2 cups sour cream
4 (8 oz) packages cream cheese
8 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
1 1/2 cup sugar
2 T cornstarch
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
1 tsp lemon juice
1 tsp lemon zest

Butter 10 inch springform pan. Wrap carefully in tin foil. 

Preheat oven to 300 F.

In mixer, beat eggs and sour cream thoroughly. In a seperate mixer, mix cream cheese and butter until smooth and creamy. Add to egg mixutre. Add remaining ingredients and beat thoroughly, about 2 minutes. Pour into springform pan, Place pan in roasting pan. Fill roasting pain with very hot tap water, half-way up side of spring form pan. 
Place roasting pan in oven. 
Bake for 2 hours and fifteen minutes. Stand at room temperature 4 hours. Refrigerate over night. 


Apparently I didn't really read the method before hand. I just mixed the cream cheese and butter and then added in the sour cream and then the eggs, one at a time, then everything else. I also didn't refrigerate over night. 

But it was lovely.


Orianna also requested a raspberry sauce. I googled it quickly and adapted as needed to account for ingredients on hand. I didn't have high hopes for this sauce, but it greatly exceeded my expectations. 

Raspberry Sauce (Allrecipes.com)

1 pint raspberries (or several cups frozen)
1/4 cup sugar
1 Tablespoon lemon juice
Lemon zest from one lemon
2 tablespoons cornstarch.

Cook frozen raspberries over medium heat until they start breaking down, 5-10 minutes. Stir in sugar, lemon juice, lemon zest, and cornstarch. 

Cook until slightly thickened, about 3-5 minutes.

The recipe I used from allrecipes included a cup of water and orange juice instead of lemon juice or zest. I was going to add the water, but after tasting it to see if I needed more sugar, I decided it was brilliant as is. 

I adore this sauce.

2 comments:

Geri Douglas said...

cheesecake is still my favorite desert, I haven't had it in a long time, but I may have to keep this recipe for future use. Enjoy!

Evan and Clover and Co. said...

Thanks for making me starve. I want.