November 19, 2014

Chicken Kolaches



It is a gorgeous, blue sky sunshine-y morning! It is in the teens and we got 3-4 inches of snow last night, so the world is beautiful right now! It is cold enough (15F) that the snow is very dry and fluffy, so there is no slush or ice, which is lovely. As I am writing this, I just glanced out the window and see that clouds have come to ruin everything. Nasty things. It was beautiful for a little while anyway! And at least we don't have five feet of snow like Buffalo.

A week ago, someone put up some article on facebook, (I forget entirely what it was about) and I clicked on it and one thing led to another and I found this recipe. Which looked easy and yummy. And it turns out, it is easy and yummy.

Chicken Kolaches 

(I had no idea what kolaches were. Google tells me they originated in Central Europe and normally are "soft pillows of dough, cradling a dollop of fruit." So there you have it.)

(Why is it that everyone else in the world takes better food pictures than I do? Or maybe they are just better cooks and follow the recipe and have better looking food. Probably they are better cooks and better photographers, but that is sort of depressing, so we will not think about that. Anyway, bet you can't guess which one is my picture and which one is a professional bloggers picture! Hint: the one with the copyright on it is not mine. I better look into copyrighting mine before someone steals it...)


 Easy Homemade Chicken Kloaches

Anyway, they are really yummy. 

Ingredients:
2 Tablespoons butter
2 Tablespoons flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup milk
3 cup shredded chicken
1 cup shredded cheese
1 can biscuits

Melt butter in skillet. Whisk in flour and salt. Stir in milk and cook 1 minute until thickened. Stir in chicken and cheese. Pat biscuits into 5-6 inch circle. Put 1/3 cup mixture in each biscuit. Wrap dough around mixture. Place seam side down on a greased baking sheet. Bake at 375 for 20 minutes until golden brown on top. 

I of course, did not have chicken or biscuits. But I decided to not let that stop me, so I used pork and crescent rolls. They were terrifically yummy. Even better the next day, cold. I can imagine a lot of variation with these--onions, peppers, a pizza mix of cheese and pepperoni, a thanksgiving kolache with turkey and a tiny bit of cranberry sauce and stuffing... 

And just so you know, the sun is out again in riotous loveliness. Hope you have a beautiful day!

1 comment:

Geri Douglas said...

The Kaloches look delicious it reminds me a bit of chicken a la king, Looks easy enough to make and I agree Thanksgiving leftovers would be delicious in them.