January 24, 2014

A sweet thing

On the wall at our pediatricians office, there is this picture on the wall. 



I have always loved it. I was going to ask the receptionist who it was by, but the last time I asked a receptionist if she knew who painted the pictures on the wall, she looked as if I was nuts. Yesterday, I was picking up books in the kids room (Elsie loves pulling books off shelves) and I picked up one I hadn't read (library book sale) and flipped through it. And there it was. The picture I loved so much. It is by Ezra Jack Keats. The poster is called Feeding the Birds from the book Jenny's Hat. I owned this picture. There is something so joyful in discovering you own something that you love. I did this awhile ago with another kids book. Maybe I should read more kids books. But Ezra Jack Keats! I have been looking online for the poster version of this, no longer available on Amazon or Art.com but I have come up with the coolest pictures from Ezra Jack Keats. I didn't really like The Snowy Day when I was in school. I was into realistic illustration, ala Norman Rockwell style, when I was a kid, so I didn't like Ezra Jack Keats illustration. And I never really looked at it much since then. My kids own it, but as mentioned above, my kids own too many books to actually read them all to them. The things I have missed! Here are some favorites from googling Ezra Jack Keats.....

Clearly I did not have an appreciative artistic bone in my childhood body. How sweet are these? 









4 comments:

laura said...

Beauty-full!

Virginia said...

Really quite cool!

Evan and Clover and Co. said...

Ezra Jack Keats is awesome sauce.

AJWG said...

That's an awesome print! So funny that you had it all the time!!
Although, I have to agree with you about those works in books. Somehow they just don't resonate much. But individually! They sing and make you appreciate them. They seem just perfect to frame for a kids room, or for a happy touch in a family room or something.