December 18, 2012

Our floor

I am typing on a dusty keyboard, on a dusty chair and looking at a dusty monitor and table. But oh! my floor is lovely. We sanded all afternoon Saturday. Believe me, if any of you think I didn't learn my lesson about drop clothes you would be wrong. I asked Justin if there was anything I could do, in that please-don't-say-yes way that all wives do when they really, really hope the answer is no. Or is that just me? Justin said yep, I could vacuum the dust or run the edger. I decided to vacuum, since that was easier. But then my guilt took over. Guilt is pretty useful in these times when I really, really don't want to do things. But I should. So fueled by guilt, I ran the edger. Within 5 minutes, my hair had turned a dusty grey, my nose was full of dust and I felt like my arms were going to fall off. Somehow, it didn't feel right to communicate all this to Justin, who was sanding a floor because I am an idiot, on his day off. I deserved a little pain anyway.

And it was all worth it in the end.


This was once we finished sanding. Isn't it beautiful?


Dust mopping


All Dutch Oiled. We got a clear oil, but it seems to have yellowed it a bit more than I would have wished. But it does seem like honey, which makes me happy. It actually isn't supposed to be that shiny. I put a second coat on yesterday and it hasn't fully dried. Which means the surface is still a bit sticky. If it doesn't absorb by tomorrow, I am going to have to hand sand it. Oh joy. It really is a handsome floor in this picture. There are a few spots that you can't see hear that have been stained by something black and a few places that need to be sanded again, but hey, it is looking pretty good for its 50 years!

2 comments:

laura said...

That floor is oh so lovely! Good job!

Virginia said...

So warm and homey!