March 6, 2018

Sugaring and February Break




As I mentioned, we did a lot of tapping over our break. We decided to do a different system this year, more tubing and larger collection tanks and a pump, which means collecting is much easier for one person. That was our struggle last year--collecting was way too labor intensive for the man power we had. 

So there was a lot of tubing, discussion of sap flow, and time spent in the woods. 


We really couldn't have had better weather. I think it was 40 degrees this day--warm enough to not have to worry about keeping warm, but not so warm the snow was all gone yet. 


Orianna hollering to someone

At this point, I got busy tapping and Lily and Gilbert had free reign with my camera


Spring sky!


Vacation haired baby


My Lil-billy


The three younger spent most of their time making these snowmen balls


I love this boy, snot and all! 


He is a colorful character


Elsie Junie


Our highly technical tapping team



I love this grainy picture! 
We are at that stage where she is not always looking as though she enjoyed talking to me. So I notice and love the times when she does! 


Foreboding


She is getting so grown up!



I drilled the holes and Orianna hammered (gently!) the taps in. 


Silly girl on a mossy, snowy rock


Justin laying line


Our messy entry way. With all the outside time over break, our entry way was almost always overflowing with STUFF. 

Gilbert obviously had the camera again...


Uncle Owen sold a tractor, so he was feeling pretty pumped! Since his kids were in Maine for a few days, he bought the kids a few toys from Dollar General. Gilbert and Elsie were enamoured with these walkie talkies. 


A paper chain Lily spent a lot of time making


Me being a bad mother and looking at my phone while the table is messy.


This girl is almost always moving


We are not indoor animal people, so letting the cat into our house is a bit of a new thing. She lives in the basement mostly, but comes to visit for a few hours here and there. 


Her name is Dandy (short for Dandelion) and the kids adore her. When she isn't trying to nip them that is.....

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Great pictures.

Virginia said...

Gosh, what happened to your babies?! They done growed up, lady! Also, I enjoyed the matching hair you and Orianna had going there. I also loved those bright colors you had going in the woods, you North Country woman, you! This makes me want to come visit ASAP. Miss your face!

Bethaney said...

You totally SHOULD come visit! We haven't seen each other in way too long!