April 20, 2015

First Spring Sunday Walk in the Woods

Yes, it is that time again! I will now put up pictures of exactly the same things as I did last year, with slightly bigger children included in the pictures! But after winter, it is always fresh and new, even if I have seen in for, lo these 32 springs. Which I haven't. Because I wasn't looking around much, that first spring, when I was three months old. And then, I had five springs in Delaware, five springs in Alaska, and one spring in Colorado. So... that would only be 21 springs in Northern New York. 

So here we are, in spring again. And I am in love with it all over again. The buds! The leeks! The sunshine! The first teensy flowers! The calves! The kids' excitement!  

It never gets old. 

I hope I always fall in love with spring. 


Elsie being excited in Penny's general direction


Our small band of intrepid explorers


A rooster-doodle-doo


Tree flowers!


New nettle growth


Gilbert feet



Calving season is in full swing


Aren't they marvelous?



This momma did not trust the dogs


This momma was cool with dogs. 


Matched sets


New fern


Leeks! Actually, they are called ramps most places. But still! Yay!


I don't know what this is. I see it every spring. It is a darkish, purplish color, and those little buds there open to little flowers of exactly the same hue. Some spring I will figure out what it is. 


Dutchmen's breeches buds


Carolina Spring Beauty. These are the first flowers to come out most years. Hepatica comes about the same time, but these flowers are more common, so I notice them more. 


Some more of that unknown plant. Aren't they rather sinister looking?


Walking through the woods


Exploring


Trillium, getting ready to unfurl




Trout Lily leaf. For several years, I thought that late frost had damaged the leaves. But no. They are speckled. 


An almost heart shaped rock with moss, stick, leeks, and trees. 


Leeks were all over. But the bulb wasn't big enough to be worth picking yet. 


Another spring beauty



Paper birch


Hepatica



Hepatica have reddish/purplish leaves


More paper birch


Following Daddy


Lily and Aunt Tori


Elsie walking


Evan being a nut


Boys and their Daddies


These two are pretty good pals



The old sheep fold


The creek, down to regular size again, after swelling a bit from snowmelt



Having a rest


Elliott running up the hill


Heading home


From the elm tree


Elm tree blossoms


Our view of teensy mountains


And home again! 
Clover reading Burglar Bill
These are the three littles who aren't allowed to go into the haymow without an adult. The older kids discovered the haymow is empty and now pretty much stay up there all day. Justin is a wonderful father and took these little ones up to the haymow for an hour or two each day, and helped the kids set up a tire swing up there and sweep the hay away so it is all fresh and clean. 


Tori knowing I am taking her picture


And so I took another one a few minutes later. 

2 comments:

Geri Douglas said...

I love Spring and am always newly amazed at all the new growth. Even after almost 59 years I want to know all the names and uses for each green plant and flower. Your Carolina Spring Beauty reminds me of the Claytonia Virginica Spring Beauty. They say the entire flower can be eaten including roots. I guess if I were starving in the wild I may want to know this. I enjoy reading your blogs, keep them coming!!

Ryan said...

I feel the same about posting spring pictures - same photos, new year ... BUT ... it is finally SPRING! So, never fear, we love seeing them all over again!(: