February 1, 2013

Oh joy in the morning!

I am feeling particularly pleased with life this morning.

1. Despite Orianna being sent home sick yesterday with a slight fever, headache, and then vomitting once she was home, everyone else is hale and hearty. There were throw up bowls by every bed last night. Just in case. And none were needed.

2. Gilbert had minimal coughing last night. For the past week, he has spent an hour or two every night coughing. Not restful for anyone. He doesn't cough at all during the day, so it isn't something serious enough for the doctor. Just a nagging, nighttime cough. But, he didn't cough until 6 AM this morning for just a few minutes. Oh sleep, how I have missed you!

3. Wead Library has their book sale today. This is a bouncing up and down kind of happiness. I know, I don't need any more books, but I it is just impossible not to go. There are all kinds of good books that are being removed from the library and it kills me to see favorites go to an unloved, uncaring end. So I bring them home and tenderly put them on a shelf where I can admire them and be glad they are there. It is a sickness. Cody often says us Vaughans have more books than we can possibly need. Which is of course true. But..... saw this quote yesterday and it was so fitting!

“Of course anyone who truly loves books buys more of them than he or she can hope to read in one fleeting lifetime. A good book, resting unopened in its slot on a shelf, full of majestic potentiality, is the most comforting sort of intellectual wallpaper.” 
― David Quammen

So there. It is my wall paper. And at 50 cents for a hardcover and 25 for a paperback, it is actually a pretty cheap form of wallpaper. Have you looked at prices of wallpaper lately? Outrageous.

4. In fear of everyone getting sick, including me, I cleaned the house last night. Not showplace, but it is picked up, the dishes are done and there is only one load of laundry waiting to be washed. I feel capable this morning.

5. A few months ago, Martha Stewart Living had an article about how crafting of any kind interacts with the pleasure receptors on the brain. Pretty much, creating things gives people a sense of accomplishment that really makes the pleasure receptors (I think that is what they are called) go ding! ding! Which explains why I feel so proud of myself when I make the kids meeting bags or figure something out. And then, there is The Happiness Project by Gretchen Rubin, which is a Type A personality trying to get the nitty gritty on happiness, so decides to make resolutions throughout the year that will increase her happiness. Interesting book. You should read it. Anyway, lately, with trying not to be consumeristic (read pay off our credit card debt for all my past consumeristic behaviour) I have taken to doing more crafty things. Pinterest has helped me along this journey. And I decided that since it makes me happy, I should do at least one crafty project a week. Mostly, this will be sewing or embroidery. I am not much on other crafts. But they are possible. So you will get to see my attempts at happiness. Or some of them.

The first one was a result of this Mini Boden shirt. Gilbert loved it when he saw me looking at it. But it was $26. And there were occasional sales, bringing it down to $20, but still, that is a lot much for a shirt for a 3 year old.


So I decided to make my own. Applique? No problemo!


I got out Gilbert's favorite tools and Justin's hammer and traced around them. Justin's hammer was oddly curved, so I just drew a hammer I liked better.


Then I pulled out some t-shirts that were old, pilled, or stained. Knit doesn't fray like cotton does.


Cut out the pieces.


Figured out the placement on a $4 Wal-mart tee


Pinned the pieces on, Gilbert helping to supervise


And sewed them on. This was a bit difficult. I have never sewn with knit before, which is a different cat than cotton. So it pulled at times and as a result, the tools are all leaning. 


But Gilbert loves it. Which was the point. 


Next I decided to make a little doll. Tiny doll. I drew one on muslin and embroidered a face on it. Don't make fun of it!  The eyebrows didn't work, it looked too sinister. So I  pulled them out and set about sewing my doll together.


This is how turning it right side out went. Not well. At this point I realized I might not have a perfect doll. 


And this poor doll was the end result. Hahahahaha

Then I decided to try making a bunny. You would think I would leave well enough alone. Clearly, stuffed thingys are not my strength. But no, I had to try a bunny. 


It could use a good chiropractor for that twisted neck. And plastic surgeon for the uneven distribution of fat in the cheeks and misalignment of the arms. 


See how one side of the face is curved and the other isn't? Oh dear. Hahahaha

So my attempts at happiness are not perfect, but even when they end up looking like a disaster, I still like the process. 

And now, if you will excuse me, I have a library book sale to get read for.

5 comments:

Rebekah said...

Loving the craftiness! I loved The Happiness Project book too. I've noticed an increased satisfied feeling through my being more creative the last few weeks. Even just 15 min is enough to refresh and feel like I accomplished something!

Evan and Clover and Co. said...

I love the tool shirt! We will eagerly await Gilbert's next growth spurt so Lincoln can inherit it!

Virginia said...

I'm dying over your dolls hahaha! BUT in a big city, that'd be considered rustic folk art and worth a bazillion dollars!

JRita said...

Oh Bethany I'm glad you're bouncing with joy! Your dolls are hilarious and joyful! Haha :)

JRita said...

Oh Bethany I'm glad you're bouncing with joy! Your dolls are hilarious and joyful! Haha :)