October 11, 2011

First October post

This is my first post in October. Ever. (Mainly because I started blogging this spring and was lazy last week...) This feels momentous. I better make it worth your while.

A side tangent--Mom told me once that her mother told her to say "Rabbit, rabbit" the very first thing when you wake up on the first of the month for good luck. I would try to do this when I was a kid. It was sort of hard to remember to do it though, especially if it was a milking morning and Dad would wake me up at 5:00 to go milk. Then the first thing I would say is "mmkph... okay." I don't think mmkph was probably as lucky as rabbit, rabbit. At least, it never got me out of having to go milk. Every once in awhile though, Dad would mix it up and wake the wrong one of us girls. Then I would try to get up and suddenly realize with delight that it was actually LINDSEY'S turn. Ha! And then Lindsey would have to be woken up. And then I would feel so delighted with being able to go back to sleep I wouldn't be able to fall back asleep. People who never had to wake up at 5 o'clock to go out in the cold probably can't fully appreciate the joy of not having to wake up at 5 to go out in the cold. And yet, there is a nostalgia about it. Contrary human nature. And no, I don't want anyone calling to wake me up at 5 just to tell me I can go back to sleep. I have three little selfless children who do their best to recreate that 5 AM wake up call. Sometimes they get confused and do it at 2 or 3 or 4 or 6, but still, they do it. The things they do for their mother.

Today I will put up Lily's birthday pictures. It was pretty low key--just family over after supper for some cake.


Sprinkling the cake. It was meant to be decorated, but I made the icing too loose to be piped. So it got spread and sprinkled instead! 




Lily got this dress from Tori. 



A woodland fairy dress from Grandma




She went around turning people into trees. 


Grandpa got her one of these things, where you poke the pins on one side and see the shape of it on the other side. Horrible explanation. I have no idea what they are called. But the kids love them.








Grandpa also got them a head lamp. Woohoo! 


Gilbert the ultra casual executive type.



haha!




She also got some post-it notes and pencils from Livie--yay! And a leapfrog drawing thing from Grandma Ann-Julie and Randy. She also got paper money from Connie Parker, to complete her birthday. So terribly important now that she has paper money. :-) 

4 comments:

Virginia said...

I've never seen those striped chairs in the living room, but I love 'em! And how adorable is that fairy costume!

Verity Earl said...

What a sweet little fairy princess! That picture of Justin is hilarious.

Rachel May said...

I have the same cake plate. We used it for our wedding but the edge broke on the trip back.

Evan and Clover and Co. said...

I have never heard the "rabbit, rabbit" theory. I think you make up vast swaths of your childhood. Except you do know the loveliness of being the one NOT milking. Lily is a darling woodland fairy, I would become a tree for her.